DUE: Synthesis Paper (online)
- Announcement: You can boost your participation by posting your synthesis paper to our class message board on Nicenet.org (same message board for 2nd and 3rd periods). This is optional. You can also boost your participation by reading papers written by your peers and responding. Responses should engage in the discussion that the paper has brought up. Again, this is optional. Participation credit will be counted on February 28.
- View three clips of satire:
- Opening scene of Team America
- Jon Stewart on CNN
- Stephen Colbert’s The Word
- Work with a partner type a paragraph that compares and contrasts the satire of two different satirists. You might focus on similarities and differences in their targets, main ideas, and styles (how they use humor to convey their point). Submit to Turnitin.com at the end of the period (in the “Satire Comparison” folder). If you were absent you need to complete this individually.
- Select your own piece of satire (something short, like an episode, an article, a comedy sketch, etc.).
- 100-150 words: Summarize the piece. What happens?
- 300+ words: Analyze the satire. What is the target, humor and change? How does the satirist use humor to attack the target(s)?
- Submit to Turnitin.com in the “Satire Analysis” folder. Due before class on Monday after break.